Monday, August 1, 2011

New School Year Blues...

I have been thinking of my former first-graders as they get ready to go back to school next week. Most of them will be in second grade! A lot of teachers will tell you they can never forget their first class of students. Although I was not their main teacher, I met last year's class as they were fresh from kindergarten and stayed with them through the end of first grade. I taught them some things, but mostly they taught me-about classroom management, attention spans, Mexican immigrant culture, and most of all they cemented my conviction that I want to spend my career around kids!

I can't help but feel a little sad thinking of them moving on without me-to second grade, back to Mexico, to other schools/teachers. I will no longer be in their lives, but they will always be a part of mine. Those 20-odd students who showed me the realities of being a teacher in a low-SES school. They will always have a place in my heart, and I hope that each and every one of them succeeds in school and in life, and that they never lose their love for learning.

:')

No comments:

Post a Comment